[ale] systemd or not

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 16:41:38 EDT 2014

XFCE doesn't use anything from the OpenGL acceleration realm. So it can fly
compared to the opengl emulation software that gnome uses if the hardware
doesn't support real OpenGL hardware acceleration.

And, yes, OpenGL_was_ a Silicon Graphics thing that was sold to Microsoft.

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Michael H. Warfield <mhw at wittsend.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-09-08 at 14:42 -0400, Solomon Peachy wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 01:59:53PM -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > > Oh, and I would LOVE to have someone explain to me WHY a desktop
> manager
> > > would have such a profound performance impact on an application and
> > > display that I would have thought would be spending most of it's time
> > > talking with X through the widget sets.  The mystery to me is why using
> > > GNOME as the desktop manager should even matter to an application like
> > > that, but it was and it was reproducible.
>
> > Basically, GNOME3 is built on top of pure OpenGL, and if your system has
> > crummy GL capabilities, it ends up resorting to a software rendering
> > fallback that is quite slow (and CPU intensive)
>
> Then why did XFCE on the same hardware scream?  Are you saying that
> OpenGL is the fault for the suckiness?  This was the same machine.  Same
> audio stream and sources, same screen, just logged in with GNOME 3
> session in one case and XFCE session in the other.  Rocked with XFCE and
> sucked with GNOME 3.
>
> > One could make an argument that they could have provided a non-GL
> > fallback path, but that's another matter entirely.
>
> I don't know what XFCE is using but it's beating the pants off GNOME 3
> in that environment.
>
> >  - Solomon
>
> Regards,
> Mike
> --
> Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com
>    /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/          | (678) 463-0932 |
> http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
>    NIC whois: MHW9          | An optimist believes we live in the best of
> all
>  PGP Key: 0x674627FF        | possible worlds.  A pessimist is sure of it!

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*