[ale] power

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Mon Sep 8 16:01:35 EDT 2014

At home I just have a couple of APC UPSes - I plug in to the outlets that are always battery rather than the surge protection ones - that way no blip is sent to my devices.   (Of course I only have enough backup power to give time for an ordered shutdown.)

At work with use the large Emerson UPS units to power our data center and have a large diesel generator outside.   Since all the systems are on the UPS units they don't see any blip on grid power outage.   A grid power outage causes the generator to kick on automatically so that we're only on backup UPS power only during the time it takes for that to fire up.

The building we're has been purchased by someone else and I gather from what I've heard that they've put in full generator to power the entire building.   Presumably if one wanted to keep things like operating rooms running the beefier UPS units could be put in front of those locations as well.

Athena(r), Created for the Cause(tm)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged

or confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended

recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,

copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information

is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic

transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that

you have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you