[ale] systemd or not

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 14:41:28 EDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Michael H. Warfield <mhw at wittsend.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-09-08 at 13:48 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> adopt
> That's
> want
> completely
> to use
>
> > > Personally I'd rather see GNOME die.
>
> > +1
>
> > The wheels fell off the GNOME train some time ago, IMNSHO.
>
> > I had a direct comparison of running Audacity under GNOME 3 on Fedora 18
> > as opposed to running it under XFCE on the same machine (old 32 bit Dell
> > but still a nice performer for what we use it for).
>
> > This was doing live stereo audio recordings.  Same X, same kernel, same
> > everything else.  Just logged in with an XFCE session and compared the
> > graphics performance of the Audacity GUI on that vs GNOME 3 (on which it
> > had been terrible).  The comparison was appalling.  The GNOME 3
> > performance was so abysmal it was border line unusable.  XFCE was crisp
> > and clean and the wayform displays kept up to the audio stream nicely.
>
> > I've got several people on an audio tech team that have to use that
> > machine for doing recordings and editings.  They're not (all) Linux
> > savants (one of our trainees is) and GNOME was unusable for them and
> > frustrating for me.
>
> Oh, and I would LOVE to have someone explain to me WHY a desktop manager
> would have such a profound performance impact on an application and
> display that I would have thought would be spending most of it's time
> talking with X through the widget sets.  The mystery to me is why using
> GNOME as the desktop manager should even matter to an application like
> that, but it was and it was reproducible.

WHY? Bad design. HOW? The newly redesigned bonobo-replacement  interconnect
tool is a virtual reed-switched power relay. It chunks a (tiny) wad of data
around then changes to the next desktop thing to do more. It can't thread
well or else it will connect to two ends of the needed pipe and setup both
as sender or receivers and then it goes into a spasm of tear-down/rebuild
to keep the data flowing. Thus the sound on certain gnome configurations is
beyond abysmal. And the rest of the performance follows it into the toilet.
Sad. Looks pretty but runs like a snail. Certain hardware combos are
particularly bad.

> Regards,
> Mike
>
> > GNOME lost their way with GNOME 3.
> >
> > > Long live XFCE!  :)
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Only problem I've had with XFCE is in getting at some of the system
> > settings (things like sound settings).
> >
> > > -derek
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mike
>
> --
> Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com
>    /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/          | (678) 463-0932 |
> http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
>    NIC whois: MHW9          | An optimist believes we live in the best of
> all
>  PGP Key: 0x674627FF        | possible worlds.  A pessimist is sure of it!

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*