[ale] systemd or not

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Sep 8 13:48:30 EDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-09-08 at 12:45 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I would. As I said in my original reply in this thread -- you either adopt
> > systemd to run the newest versions of GNOME or you don't get GNOME. That's
> > why this BSD project exists, to add support for a system they do not want
> > just so they can continue to use a desktop manager. It is a completely
> > ludicrous situation that a specific system I it manager is required to use
> > a desktop environment.

> Personally I'd rather see GNOME die.

+1

The wheels fell off the GNOME train some time ago, IMNSHO.

I had a direct comparison of running Audacity under GNOME 3 on Fedora 18
as opposed to running it under XFCE on the same machine (old 32 bit Dell
but still a nice performer for what we use it for).

This was doing live stereo audio recordings.  Same X, same kernel, same
everything else.  Just logged in with an XFCE session and compared the
graphics performance of the Audacity GUI on that vs GNOME 3 (on which it
had been terrible).  The comparison was appalling.  The GNOME 3
performance was so abysmal it was border line unusable.  XFCE was crisp
and clean and the wayform displays kept up to the audio stream nicely.

I've got several people on an audio tech team that have to use that
machine for doing recordings and editings.  They're not (all) Linux
savants (one of our trainees is) and GNOME was unusable for them and
frustrating for me.

GNOME lost their way with GNOME 3.

> Long live XFCE!  :)

+1

Only problem I've had with XFCE is in getting at some of the system
settings (things like sound settings).

> -derek

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com