[ale] systemd or not

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat Sep 6 20:31:43 EDT 2014

On 09/06/2014 05:36 PM, Charles Shapiro wrote:
> Mike, this is real interesting.  I started out suspicious and hostile about
> systemd, and the press didn't help.   Your posts are changing my mind.

I was very skeptical myself.  Specifically, the whole Upstart thing
turned me off to the idea of sysvinit replacements for quite some time.
It wasn't until I realized that most of the distributions switched and
that RHEL 7 was going to use it that I started learning it---quite
reluctantly.

It took a while to convince me.  It wasn't until I cross-compiled a
standalone busybox-based system for the R? that I realized that this was
/exactly/ what we need.  I built 5 packages, configured the boot
process, and it actually worked.  I got a shell on the console.  After
stripping all of the binaries, it was /tiny/. And could fit on
/anything/ we have today, save for places where there is no hope for the
Linux kernel to ever run, such as a PIC or AVR 8-bit MCU.

     --- Mike