[ale] systemd or not

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat Sep 6 14:29:12 EDT 2014

On 09/05/2014 09:27 AM, leam hall wrote:
> The issue is that people who work in enterprises have to support more
> than one OS. I just complained about this on a RH list for the same
> reason. Solaris SMF is in the same trash pile.
>
> The chkconfig stuff was great in that it gave you an interface to
> standard init scripts. If you have application dependencies they need
> to be in the application scripts, not at the OS's level of control.

This should be handled by software on the systems themselves being
adapted to a single framework, if that type of thing is required.

If you're using things like the BSD family in your infrastructure, then
you're (obviously) going to be using their init daemons, at least until
they all update their Linux emulations and then bring in systemd. :-)
(Honestly, they probably won't do that, but I can easily see them
creating their own BSD-licensed alternative to systemd, and I think that
will spur some fascinating competition and discussions.)

— Mike