[ale] systemd or not

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri Sep 5 09:41:18 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 09:27:12AM -0400, leam hall wrote:
> The issue is that people who work in enterprises have to support more
> than one OS. I just complained about this on a RH list for the same
> reason. Solaris SMF is in the same trash pile.

So.. you're seriously complaining that different OSes are... different?

> The chkconfig stuff was great in that it gave you an interface to
> standard init scripts. If you have application dependencies they need
> to be in the application scripts, not at the OS's level of control.

chkconfig only tells you if something is enabled; not if it's actually
running.  It doesn't handle dependencies and doesn't make sure if things
are in a sane state.

And it certianly doesn't make sure the application scripts do the right
things, track errors and otherwise ensure your dependencies are
actually running (or shutting down) properly.

As I've said, systemd isn't perfect.  But it's considerably less awful
than what it's replacing.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^