[ale] OT(ish) Sold or stolen?

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Thu Sep 4 14:03:24 EDT 2014

Hello Alex,

Thursday, September 4, 2014, 2:21:02 AM, you wrote:

> On 2014-09-03 23:08, Robert Reese wrote:

>> I find it highly unlikely it has been imprisoned on the Death Star's core all this time without some sort of escape attempt.  Are you absolutely sure it has never ventured outside of AT&T's own little world?  Has your email address ever seen a third-party's light of day, maybe moonlighting as official AT&T business?  I must assume AT&T has affiliates or marketing partners.

> I know, it went down the garbage chute into the trash compactors. :)

> The sale or theft of the address is an interesting question which is why
> I brought it up.  In theory (meaning actually reading it and doing what
> it says), their own TOS states that the email used for billing is not
> supposed to go to any affiliates or other marketing partners.  If they
> did sell it or hand it over to an affiliate then that violated their own
> TOS.

Are there any hops between AT&T email servers and your email servers?

If not, it sounds like someone screwed up inside AT&T, either by providing the wrong list or letting a server get hacked.  Obviously the latter would be a news-worthy event.  You might consider passing the lead off to WSB-TV and see if it grows legs.

Cheers,
Robert~