[ale] [ANNC] - ALE-NW InstallFest 2014!

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Sep 4 12:45:04 EDT 2014

In just over 2 weeks, it is time for the 4th Annual ALE-NW InstallFest at SPSU!
We've scheduled it for Saturday, 9/20, this year.

---------------------
Volunteers Needed

It is time to ask for volunteers to help with assorted "things" for a few hours
that day. Everything from greeters, to helping people install CentOS on a laptop
with wifi-only networking, and UEFI BIOS.  Fun, fun.

Of course, normal installs happen too. There is something satisfying about
wiping the old OS from a HDD. ;)

So - if you can volunteer for a few hours on 9/20, please let me know off-list.
 Last year we were slightly short on volunteers, which made it a very long day
for the core people.  A few hours in the morning or afternoon really is helpful!
 No requirement to be an expert either. Just some experience doing an install is
all that we need.  Some of the installs are for people who have only heard of
Linux, so anybody with more experience is extremely helpful!

----------------------
Help Advertise

Please help get the word out to other technology groups around metro Atlanta
too.  We have a diverse group of members in ALE, please use those contacts to
post the announcement to other groups where it makes sense. Java, php, ruby,
perl, python, DevOps, and Security groups should be contacted.

----------------------
When/Where

When:  9/20 10am until 5pm (Saturday)
Where: SPSU J-266 (Atrium Bldg)

----------------------
Installer Logistics

===
Pre-Install Work
* Defrag any Windows Partitions (critical for virtual machine installs, but also
for shrinking partitions)
* For MBR systems, shrink partitions to make room for 2 more partitions for
Linux (/ 15G-25G and swap 2G or RAM size)
* For GPT/UEFI systems, just shrink the available storage so that 15G-25G is free.
* If the GPT/MBR question isn't understood, come earlier in the day and be
prepared for massive data movement.
* Backup the system BEFORE coming to the InstallFest. Data and OS loss can
happen, though unlikely.

===
What to Bring

* PC (the "hard drive" part)
* USB Flash drive that can boot YOUR PC
* long network cable
* Excitement + Great Attitude!  This is fun stuff!
* Patience - most of the time, Linux will install easily. Sometimes it is less easy.

We will have switch ports, a few current Linux ISOs, VirtualBox binaries for
Windows, knowledge from performing many, many, installations over the years. We
will also have monitors, keyboards, mice available and a limited number of
ethernet cables.  Wifi connections are only possible for SPSU students.
       We are NOT allowed to setup a wifi-hotspot.

Please Volunteer!

Think of this as an opportunity to raise your installation skills on someone
elses' PC, with the watchful eyes of experts available, if that helps. ;)  It is
a great way to see how well the different Linux installations slide onto
different hardware too.

Your help is needed to make this community outreach as successful as possible.