[ale] OT(ish) Sold or stolen?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed Sep 3 15:47:32 EDT 2014

On 2014-09-03 09:09, Horkan Smith wrote:
> You've probably checked and eliminated this, but I've had periods where the spammers sent loads of completely random email usernames that were obviously auto-generated.  Every once in awhile, they've matched one of the ones I actually use.

Yeah, these are generated as a mashup between a prefix (like 'att' or
'boa') and a suffix that comes from something like pwgen or tempfile.
So anyone randomly spamming would have to guess the entity to spam and
then come up with the random sequence that fits what I have.

It's not implemented in a way that is as complicated for places that use
the email address as the user login (since I have to remember it) but
for this use by AT&T, it's not the login so it's very complicated/random.