[ale] IPMItools: how to query a value with duplicate names?

David Millians millia at panix.com
Tue Sep 2 17:17:49 EDT 2014

My ongoing adventures with Zabbix, redux:

I'm at the point of having acquired some competence with the system. Got
a handle on IPMI, SNMP, and want to fine tune many things. So after
querying a Dell Drac, I get something that looks like this:
Inlet Temp       | 04h | ok  |  7.1 | 22 degrees C
Exhaust Temp     | 01h | ok  |  7.1 | 41 degrees C
Temp             | 0Eh | ok  |  3.1 | 55 degrees C
Temp             | 0Fh | ok  |  3.2 | 49 degrees C
I can query (and zabbix does as well with:
ipmitool -H #.#.#.# -U blah -P blahblah sensor get "Inlet Temp"
That works for Exhaust Temp, too.

It doesn't work well for Temp. I mean, I get Temp, but not Temp. So how
do I get Temp, instead of Temp?
Haha. Sorry for the Temp humor.

I've tried:
sensor get 0x0E
sensor get 0Eh
sensor get 0eh
sensor get 0x0e
and the same with quotes.

I'm in the process of building templates from this base, since the
Zabbix template isn't complete for my stuff. I already solved the
mysteries of reading discrete values, and now I want to get the possible
values for all the discretes, i.e., for SEL:
   Correctable memory error logging disabled
   Event logging disabled
   Log area reset/cleared
   All event logging disabled
   Log full