[ale] Mixed environments, central authentication, and central user management?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 08:24:00 EDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Damon L. Chesser <damon at damtek.com> wrote:

> I for one do not like Centrify.  We use it.  It replaces ssh and at least
> ssl with it's own packages.  downside:  no one can use a "console" such as
> single user mode because you are not up and networked.  At least we can't
> the way we are set up.  Most unsatisfying.  Aside from that, Centrify does
> work.  We ran into one app that the web authentication would not work with
> the swapped out libs/packages.  Just one.  RH IDM is a fraction of the cost
> (for us).  Check with your RH rep, you may have access to IDM by virtue of
> the RHEL subscriptions, again, we do.  Not that that stopped us from
> deploying the hated Centrify.  Windows weenies trying to solve a Linux
> problem.

Thanks for that information. I'm always leery of pretty presentations not
living up.

I do have access to the RHEL ipa packages, and believe I can do the trust
based integration. I just would rather do synchronization based integration
(I think). I followed Mr. Kinney's lead and found the non-licensed version
of it -- http://directory.fedoraproject.org/docs/389ds/download.html . But
this morning, I'm not sure I want to go that route. I think I'd be more
keen to use the RHEL packages and retain support. I do have a query in to
my sales rep about Directory Server.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
condition to which they are quickly addicted."

CH:D 59