[ale] Wireless and multiple networks

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue Oct 28 23:29:34 EDT 2014

On 2014-10-28 20:25, Jim Kinney wrote:
> I'm not sure if open source tools can do this without me doing some
> programming.
>
> I want a dual/multi-band wireless setup that will allow authenticated users
> onto the faster, private lan and guests onto the slower private lan
> connected to the internet directly with no access to the other Lan. I see
> how to do it with Mac address in dhcp but am very unclear if open source
> wireless tools ddwrt and the like have this ability.
> Suggestions?
>
> Linksys has an "open source ready" $220 multi band at Microcenter.

If the two or more radios are presented as individual network adapters
then yes you could do this.  However, most lower cost multiband hardware
presents a single interface back to the host machine.  You can
multi-home some APs to allow a private WLAN and guest WLAN (there's some
documentation for doing this on OpenWRT for specific hardware) but it's
only a VLAN not a band-split.