[ale] FWD: CryptoParty @ PhreakNIC: OnionPi Hardware Notice

Pope jonnyX jonnyx at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 27 12:39:22 EDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Alan Fay <emptyset at freesideatlanta.org> wrote:

Howdy!

If anyone is interested in building an OnionPi at PhreakNIC, I wanted to make sure everyone had time to overnight a few key hardware parts that are needed.

At minimum, you need a Raspberry Pi,  4GB SD card, and a *compatible* USB wifi module.  The module I used with great success was:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1030

Adafruit also lists these modules as compatible:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1012
https://www.adafruit.com/product/814

If you want to get technical* about it, what you're looking for is a USB wifi module that can function as an access point under the trimmed down debian wheezy distro for Raspberry Pi (called, Raspian wheezy).

You need a 4GB SD card - I think might be able to get away with a 2GB SD card, that of course depends on the size* of the iso.

Raspberry Pi [$39]:
http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-Model-512MB-Computer/dp/B00LPESRUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414422028&sr=8-1&keywords=raspberry+pi

4GB SD Card [$6]:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-4gb-sdhc-class-4-memory-card/7956599.p?id=1153336298633&skuId=7956599

Wifi module [$20]:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1030

Total cost: about $65 + tax/shipping

Looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone at PhreakNIC!

Disco,
Alan

* you can pretty much do whatever you want if you want to write a wifi driver or trim an iso on short notice.  ;)  Maybe some of the LUG folks can help you bust that out.  ;)