[ale] Living without a data plan how feasible is it

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 13:21:25 EDT 2014

On 10/23/14 11:03, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On 10/23/2014 09:28 AM, Todor Fassl wrote:
>> The original topic is living w/o a data plan. I get lost too often not
>> to have live map data but that seems to use kilobypes, not gigabytes.
>> Howerver, if you  don't have a data plan, you can still use the GPS on
>> your iPhone with Navigon from Garment. It's $40 and comes with
>> downloadable map data. I used it for years on an iPod Touch with a
>> bluetooth GPS receiver.  There were plenty of instances when I was the
>> only person in a group who could get directions because we happened to
>> be somewhere where nobody could get a data connection.
> There's also OpenStreetMap which can be used to store data directly on
> your device.  Of course you then have to update it manually.

Well, now we're getting really OT but I tried a gazillion map apps
before shelling out $40 for Navigon. None of them worked with the IOS
screen reader, voiceover. This is probably of no interest to anybody but
me. I just thought I'd explain that I'm not an idiot. :-)

I did forget that everybody else has options I do not though.