[ale] Living without a data plan how feasible is it

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Oct 23 10:37:44 EDT 2014

No need for a data connection for GPS/mapping in the USA.

Maps – 100% offline - just avoid anything from Google.

    NAVFree USA (POI lists are limited)
    NAVFree World (POI lists are limited)
    OsmAnd – worldwide OSM maps
    Maps With Me – nags for paid version too much
    GPS Essentials – Tracking to match photos with GPS locations later.

City Guides
    TripAdvisor – these are nice, if it exists for your city. Get the app FOR
YOUR CITY, not the generic app. Surrounding areas don't usually get included in
the data, but for the core city stuff, 500 hotels, 500 restaurants, 500 tourist
things should be there. The Atlanta TA App is highly limited, ITP only.

Travel Apps - most do not need live data connections:
  http://blog.jdpfu.com/2013/04/07/no-data-required-android-travel-apps