[ale] sponsoring registrar

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Wed Oct 22 17:43:10 EDT 2014

While it expires in Feb most Registrars give a grace period of 30-60 days for the original owner to renew before setting it free on the theory the original owner may simply have overlooked the renewal and will call them in a panic once their service quis working.

Some registrars will allow you to put in a request to buy ahead of time but that doesn't guarantee you'd get the domain.   Someone else may already have put in such a request.

As someone else mentioned there are "cybersquatters" in the world and they live to pounce on expired domains so they can sell them back to folks that weren't paying attention at exorbitant rates.   They also dream up new domains they think you might be interested in and register those then offer to sell them to you.

If you want this domain you really need to work out how to get it before it expires as the only way to insure you can.