[ale] sponsoring registrar

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 18:12:51 EDT 2014

The sponsoring registrar, enom.com, told me twice via tech support phone
call that I'd have to send them an image of the death certificate. I
went down to the court house and got that. I filled out a tech support
ticket and now they're telling me they need the estate to contact them.

The family of the dead guy has been friendly but uncooprerative.  We
asked them to point a smart phone at their copy of the death certificate
and email us a picture. How hard can that be, right? Well, a month went
by and nothing happened. But maybe if we put a paper in front of them
and say, "Sign this," it will work.

The domain doesn't expire until February but it's not doing us any good
right now. We are probably not going to be able to get our web site
unsuspended. That's partly a political problem w/i the group that is
just too bizarre and complicated to explain.

So we can get a new web site with a new domain name fairly soon. We
could just forget about our old domain name but I don't want to do that.
I'm not entirely sure all the members of the group recognize the problem
with just dumping the old domain name and moving to a new one.

Well, none of this is really part of my technical problem which is to
ask if the "sponsoring registrar" is the right entity to contact about
regaining control of the domain name. I'd have thought it was except
they sent me an email saying they don't know nothin' bout the domain name.