[ale] Satellite 6 opinions?

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 11:11:47 EDT 2014

James,

Can I recommend that you build you a CentOS 6 box ( RHEL 6 ), install
Spacewalk on it, and yes Satellite is bas on Spacewalk.  Then create and
set up RHEL4 channel to see if it still supports it before you waste
thousand of dollars on Satellite.

If I had time I would build a second server and let you know. But with
Spacewalk being free, it worth a try.

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 10:08 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Scott McBrien <smcbrien at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think 5.10 would be better.  But again, you have to be using extended
>> life subscriptions on those boxes.  If you let them expire when the initial
>> 7 years of RHEL4 was up, you won't have the bits to allow them to join sat6.
>

> I could get by with not having support for the RHEL4 boxes. I only have 6
> of them, and I _really_ hate the software that we have to have them for.
> Thankfully, that software is being EOLed in ~14 months. So I can hopefully
> kick it to the curb soon(ish).
>

> --
> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
> personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
> corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
> condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

678 636 9678
openSUSE -- Terrorpup
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want to
package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE Studio
a try.