[ale] Belay that, OT, jre7u71 winXP won't install/update

Ken Cochran kwc at shell.TheWorld.com
Fri Oct 17 10:33:26 EDT 2014

Problem now with car sw is the now-unsupported deployment
platform, with resulting losses.  The car support industry
would be well-served by moving to (auditable) F/OSS/*ix
platforms.  I wonder sometimes if (at the macroeconomic level)
the plaintiff bar will sooner or later require that.  From my
(admittedly seat of the pants) experience in the last coupla
decades or so, the overwhelming majority of car problems I
see stem from the electronics, rather than the mechanicals.
And it's usually a "mechanical" problem with the electronics
(i.e., connectors, solder joints, circuit components).

Thanks, now that the trusty old beloved t41 is gone {sniff},
am looking for reliability and easy service *and recovery* 1st.
Recurring problems I have with M$ in general and vista & later
(customer machines) more specifically, other than it being
Just Crummy Anyway are:

- Computers don't come with recovery media.  Ok, cost reduction,
  but recovery partition is inadequate - what if I have
  to replace/upgrade a HDD?  And I haven't yet found a
  download option for, say, making a boot/install thumbdrive.
  Methinks this is most likely a M$ licensing issue.

- OS is fragile, updates have a way of failing, corrupting
  the update "database," blocking further updates & requiring
  a reinstall to fix.  Which of course, erases all the
  *customer's* files & installed applications.  And that
  doesn't always fix it.

- Reinstalling the OS wipes out the entire HDD.  In the case
  of that old t41, OS recovery would erase the entire C:
  drive but that machine was partitioned into others & recovery
  didn't touch those.  Other makes I've encountered (servicing,
  Dell & HP mostly) erase/reinstall things back to factory,
  including the adware.

{sigh}  -kc