[ale] Living without a data plan how feasible is it

Narahari 'n' Savitha savithari at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 22:02:07 EDT 2014

Friends:

My spouse had an iphone5 bought in Aug last year.  This Oct 7th at about
10:30 voice calls did not go thru.  Went to ATT and sought help.  They
recommended that we upgrade to ios8.  We did and it got stuck at 80% and
bailed.  Itunes then recommended that it revert back to ios7.  We clicked
ok and it started reverting and got stuck at 80% again.

Essentially it is at this boot cycle and we cant upgrade the phone and we
are the Restore screen on the phone.  After much battle with Apple and ATT
I was told I am SOL. I was expecting Apple to offer me a "Pay $100 or so
and we will repair", but no.  They said pay $270 and we replace it.  Don't
they have no shame that their product gave up like this ?

Today Google put Nexus 6 at a whopping $649, essentially driving the phone
out of the park for me.

Is there a clean way to have a call-only plan and if so who can I still be
connected to data using a tab or net book ?
How to live without data ?  Any ideas ?

-S