[ale] [OT] Noise cancelling headphones?

Ted W. ted-lists at xy0.org
Tue Oct 14 14:03:07 EDT 2014

On 10/14/2014 10:09 AM, leam hall wrote:
> This article is spot on:
>
> http://www.inc.com/karl-and-bill/the-modern-workplace-introverts-need-not-apply.html
>
> Any recommendations on really good Noise Cancelling headphones? I have
> some JVC but the were DOA and I never sent them back.
>
> Leam

I personally prefer passive noise cancelling headphones over active
types. I've found that the AudioTechnica ATH-M50s block a noticeable
amount of engine noise on air planes. They are, full sized over the ear
style headphones but they collapse down and fit inside a small carrying
pouch which I found easy enough to stow in my book bag for most flights.
They will run you about $130 on Amazon and are available in a straight
cable or coil cable design [1].

If you're looking for something smaller, I can recommend the Etymotic
Research mc-5 IEMs. You can find them on Amazon for about $60 [2]. I use
mine when mowing the yard and they knock the noise level down
significantly. The only thing I don't like about them is that the
"Christmas tree" (for lack of knowing the proper term) style insert
begins to irritate my ear after an hour or two of wear. Etymotic does,
however, offer custom ear inserts for their IEMs at a cost of $100 which
includes a visit to an audiologist to create the casting of your inner
ear [3]. I've heard this improves the comfort of the IEMs tremendously
but does reduce the sound damping ability a little bit.

[1]
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U/ref=sr_1_2

[2]
http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Isolating-In-Ear-Earphones/dp/B003S3RFIQ