[ale] Linux configuration management (validation)?

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Tue Oct 14 09:28:02 EDT 2014

If you are using RHEL, then definitely look into Red Hat's "Satellite Server".  We are primarily a SUSE shop, with a few RHEL systems, so we use SUSE Manager, which is their re-roll of that same product.  You don't have to do any programming, and minimal scripting is required.  You can point-and-click patch your systems from one web console, etc...
I manage almost 300 systems with SUSE's version of it (based on the Spacewalk upstream) and couldn't be happier.
There are a few downsides:
1.  It is slow and bloated.  I have allocated 32GB of RAM and 12 vCPUs, and there is still a noticeable lag between operations with the gui.  The good news is that the lag is not significantly different between a few systems and a few hundred being managed.
2.  It does take some tweaking of settings to get it initially working well.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Allen B.

--
Allen Beddingfield