[ale] [Semi-ot rant] Why is obtaining a cell phone battery such a degrading experience?

Byron Jeff byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu
Wed Oct 8 16:05:32 EDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 02:12:22PM -0400, Bob Toxen wrote:
> Go to Battries Plus on Pleasant Hill in Duluth.  They always take great
> care of me - except for my iPhone battery 4gs that requires soldering.
> It will be going to UBreakIFix.com in Duluth 770-580-fix1 (3491).

Bob,

I've actually had the opposite experience recently. I've purchased three
different batteries recommended by Batteries+. None of them would hold a
charge anything close to the OEM battery.

BAJ

> Bob
>
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 02:17:16PM -0400, Neal Rhodes wrote:
> > Am I the only person that keeps their android smartphone more than a
> > year?   Because the new ones aren't any better and I'm grandfathered
> > into an unlimited Verizon data plan?
> >
> > But try to get a battery - sheesh.
> >
> > After looking all over, I call BatteryMonster and they swear these are
> > new OEM batteries.
> >
> > So, I order 2 of them.
> >
> > Today they showup:
> >     The color of the label is wrong.
> >     The label doesn't fit snugly on the plastic case.
> >     They BOTH have the SAME serial#.  My two genuine HTC batteries have
> > different ones, and the later one has.......wait for it....... a higher
> > serial#.
> >     That Serial number is LOWER than the serial number on my original
> > battery which is now three years old.
> >
> > In short, these are obvious counterfeits.  They copied the same label
> > from years ago and slap it on every one they crank out.
> >
> > I dunno.  What do I expect.   I call HTC and they say they aren't making
> > replacement BTR6425B batteries anymore.
> >
> > But given that these batteries are known to sometimes explode and burn,
> > one would like to avoid unknowns.
> >
> > Neal Rhodes
> > MNOP Ltd

Byron A. Jeff
Chair: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://faculty.clayton.edu/bjeff