[ale] [Semi-ot rant] Why is obtaining a cell phone battery such a degrading experience?

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Tue Oct 7 14:17:16 EDT 2014

Am I the only person that keeps their android smartphone more than a
year?   Because the new ones aren't any better and I'm grandfathered
into an unlimited Verizon data plan?

But try to get a battery - sheesh.

After looking all over, I call BatteryMonster and they swear these are
new OEM batteries.

So, I order 2 of them.

Today they showup:
    The color of the label is wrong.
    The label doesn't fit snugly on the plastic case.
    They BOTH have the SAME serial#.  My two genuine HTC batteries have
different ones, and the later one has.......wait for it....... a higher
serial#.
    That Serial number is LOWER than the serial number on my original
battery which is now three years old.

In short, these are obvious counterfeits.  They copied the same label
from years ago and slap it on every one they crank out.

I dunno.  What do I expect.   I call HTC and they say they aren't making
replacement BTR6425B batteries anymore.

But given that these batteries are known to sometimes explode and burn,
one would like to avoid unknowns.

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd