[ale] Older parent friendly desktop WM

Larry Johnson larryfeltonjohnson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 19:03:25 EDT 2014

The fraud, from my point of view,  involved in most of the pop-ups of this
nature I've seen is that the text implies that the message is coming from
within the OS, and is an official update alert from Microsoft.

As for the question from the OP, I like Gnewsense on netbooks and other low
resource computers.  I haven't done a complete look at the distro options
for minimal and easy to use systems lately, but Gnewsense runs and old,
clean version of gnome, and has all the usual stuff a casual computer user
would use (browser, word processing, IM, email client).

Regards,
Larry

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 6:53 PM, Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> I've been had once or twice before. But if I clicked the button to
> authorize the charge, and I got what was promised, then I would never
> charge back. Maybe I am missing something here, but it sounds like the
> person got ripped off somewhat, legally.
>
> Just because it's immoral and unethical practice to sell free shit to
> people for high prices doesn't make it chargeback-worthy. We live in a
> society where people like me are scared to deal with mass customers for
> fear that despite operating legitimately, we may have to deal with
> chargebacks and the like, even in the case where the chargeback's root
> cause is embarassment or buyer's remorse.
>
> Of course, if you didn't get what was advertised for the money, then a
> chargeback is always OK. But that seems to be the first thing people do
> generally these days and is one reason why I am leery to have an online
> storefront or similar. Most banks chargeback policies suck (and they're
> almost always hidden in the fine print).
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> > On Oct 2, 2014, at 5:59 PM, Bob Toxen <transam at VerySecureLinux.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hopefully, you had your Dad dispute the credit card charge as fraud and
> > unauthorized with his bank!  There's no paper trail so this is easy and
> > it was UNauthorized fraud.
> >
> > Bob
> >
> >> On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 01:14:35PM -0700, Alex Carver wrote:
> >> I need some suggestions on a lightweight desktop WM that would be
> >> friendly to my parents that are used to Windows.  My dad just got
> >> scammed by one of these "driver update" scareware companies (it was a
> >> pop-up ad) that charge high dollar amounts for installing free software.
> >>
> >> I think it's probably time to shift them over to Linux, isolate them
> >> from administrative functions, but leave the system looking friendly.
> >>
> >> Ubuntu might be a bit too much and too heavy for their laptop.  I tend
> >> to use fluxbox but that's a bit too minimal. :)

I read and respond to email twice daily, at approximately 7 AM and 4 PM
Eastern Time.  If you need to reach more quickly please phone me at The
Atlanta Tortoise  -- "Slow News is the Best News" -- (678)-671-9783.  In
most circumstances phone calls will be returned within four hours during
business hours, and the following day during all other hours.