[ale] Something faster than X-Windows but more secure than VNC server?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Oct 1 10:08:52 EDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-09-30 at 15:02 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> If both ends are *nix, look at X2GO. It's an easier freenx than, um,
> freenx. good for single connections. Not tabbed like remmina. (doesn't
> crash as often as remmina either :-)

Negatives are that X2GO is not compatible with "standard" NX versions
such as FreeNX or NoMachine NX, which can be a significant problem
depending on deployment.  No plugin for Remmina, which is still my
favorite multiprotocol client (and doesn't crash for me at all).

On the plus side, if the client limitations aren't a deal breaker as
they were for me, they do have Windows and MacOS clients, so it's not
limited to both ends being *nix.  For FreeNX, you would need the
NoMachine NX client as Remmina is not available for Windows.  Remmina
should run under Cygwin but I've never tried it.

This is this multiprotocol client, similar to Remmina, for Windows:

http://www.mremoteng.org/

Downside, doesn't seem to support NX and certainly doesn't support X2GO.

Downside to FreeNX server:  May not work on all versions of Ubuntu due
to conflicts with Wayland and some deprecated multimedia libraries.  Not
sure about X2GO there.  Looks like X2GO may have similar conflicts.
Refer to their FAQ.

Regards,
Mike