[ale] I saw the magic smoke escape!

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Tue Nov 18 12:56:07 EST 2014

So Watts the problem?  :p

From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org] On Behalf Of Jim Kinney
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 12:52 PM
To: Atlanta User Group (E-mail)
Subject: [ale] I saw the magic smoke escape!

It was preceded by a flash of magic arc then a sustained burst of magic fire.

By then I had yanked the power cord. The now unidentifiable component that spectacularly failed had turned to a glowing slag ember. I had no idea solder could get yellow hot without just puddling in the bottom of the case.

A video card failed and burned out the power supply.  No obvious evidence of the failure of the video card but the power supply was completely dead. New on was 100W bigger. That was enough to turn the failed component on the video card into a light bulb.

Fun!