[ale] OT (?) - Google Fiber in metro ATL (redux)

Justin Goldberg justgold79 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 22:47:01 EST 2014

I wonder if the gigapowercities initiative will be 100% fiber, with 1%
short-range, neighborhood wireless, like in sandy springs. For a grand
total of 101%, heh! Love that math.

Comcast announced their 500 mbps speed when google made their original
announcement in Atlanta.

It's be nice if there was a 100% carrier neutral fiber, where it could be
rented out and shared much like landlines are today. It wouldn't have to be
rolled out everywhere, only in a few places where they could easily make a
dent. I wonder if the economics would even be possible to support such a
system and be able grow out gradually?

I suppose eventually it will be moot once we have ultra-long range wifi
using tv white space spectrum. Then the playing field might be better. It's
too bad the FCC ignored Google's idea where different carriers could share
the spectrum in a more efficient way rather than telcos squatting on
spectrum, not using it, and once it's valuable sell it.

Sincerely,

Justin Goldberg