[ale] Linux Smart Phone Recs

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 13:13:34 EST 2014

OnePlus One pre-order round 2 notice just hit my email.

"Starting now, you can begin filling your shopping cart to prepare for the
big event. Pre-orders kick off on November 17 at 16:00 GMT (08:00 PST, 11:00
EST) for one hour only. Your One will be just a click away."

Of course this is 2 weeks prior to my second property tax payment to DeKalb
county to fund schools, roads, streetlights, police, etc.

"But Ms. Tax Commissioner, I _HAD_ to buy this new phone so I could, um, do
stuff, and, um. How much is that late penalty again?"

Maybe round three will coincide with the end of my Verizon contract.

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oneplus one
>
> Runs a cyanogen out of the box.
>
> Availability is an issue. Presales SWAMPED the site. It's on par with a
> nexxus 6 at half the price. Reviewers have liked it lots.
> On Nov 4, 2014 11:19 AM, "H P Ladds" <householdwords at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm (with some dread) giving-in and buying a "smart" phone.
>>
>> I seem always to turn a tech buying decision into a big "thing." I fear
>> that as I learn of all the proprietary tech, backdoors and privacy rights
>> stomping I will become angry and despondent.  But here goes...
>>
>> What stay ye Linux enthusiasts -- what phone should I buy for the Sprint
>> network?
>>
>> My inclination is to use Cyanogenmod.
>>
>> I prefer a phone that allows me use the machine in any way I see fit. If
>> I want to repurpose the thing as calculator, that's my choice.
>>
>> Is this Holy War fodder -- hope not?
>>
>> Cheers and TIA.

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*