[ale] Your Go-To CLI Tools?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Thu Nov 6 12:54:14 EST 2014

On 2014-11-06 09:43, JD wrote:

> Ah .... we are using aptitude for completely different purposes.
>
> I've never attempted to upgrade a release with it. Not once. Ubuntu has
> do-release-upgrade for that purpose, which mostly works for supported distro
> upgrades.
>
> OTOH, for maintaining a current Ubuntu release
> $ sudo aptitude update
> $ sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
> weekly works flawlessly.  Yes, I know dist-upgrade is deprecated (full-upgrade
> is the new option), but it will install a newer kernel for Ubuntu while leaving
> the release alone. It will not upgrade 12.04 to 14.04 or any other release.

Under Debian apt-get (or aptitude) dist-upgrade is the way to perform
whole upgrade to a new release. :)  (well, other than popping a CD in
and starting from scratch)  "apt-get upgrade" updates within a release.
 There are no special scripts alternate for the release upgrade.

I already did apt-get dist-upgrade on multiple machines to get me from
squeeze to wheezy and it was fine.

Of course the above special scripting is why I don't bother with Ubuntu.
 Too many extras.