[ale] Your Go-To CLI Tools?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Nov 6 12:43:31 EST 2014

On 11/06/2014 12:36 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
> We'll have to see.  The current document for upgrading squeeze to wheezy
> (old-stable to stable) still recommends not using aptitude for the
> process.  There isn't a complete guide for wheezy to jessie yet so we'll
> have to see if there's any brokenness there when jessie becomes stable.
>

> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html

Ah .... we are using aptitude for completely different purposes.

I've never attempted to upgrade a release with it. Not once. Ubuntu has
do-release-upgrade for that purpose, which mostly works for supported distro
upgrades.

OTOH, for maintaining a current Ubuntu release
$ sudo aptitude update
$ sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
weekly works flawlessly.  Yes, I know dist-upgrade is deprecated (full-upgrade
is the new option), but it will install a newer kernel for Ubuntu while leaving
the release alone. It will not upgrade 12.04 to 14.04 or any other release.