[ale] Your Go-To CLI Tools?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Nov 6 10:51:43 EST 2014

On 11/06/2014 09:42 AM, dev null zero two wrote:
> glances: http://nicolargo.github.io/glances/

I noticed that saidar stopped working well with recent updates. Glances looks
awesome. Installed and added to my base-package list for all machines! Thank
you, thank you, thank you!

locate/updatedb - we don't need 'find' anymore.

task spooler - batch job/task management via queue control

par2 rocks. I've recovered data from optical storage that would have been lost
otherwise.

perlbrew - have multiple versions of perl on the same box, separate and don't
break the system perl with local versions or non-OS packaged CPAN modules.
Python, ruby have similar "environment management" tools.

aptitude - Why to people still bother with apt-get? If you don't know aptitude,
you don't know what you are missing.

Ansible - this is the tool I'm most embarrassed to have learned last. I wasted
years with other, harder, solutions.  It is like finally learning about
~/.ssh/config - if you use Linux/UNIX, you need to be using both that config
file AND ansible. It is THAT good. It is as important as ssh, IMHO.