[ale] xfs vs. ext4

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 11:53:19 EST 2014

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 11:14 AM, leam hall <leamhall at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Chuck Payne <terrorpup at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > XFS sounds great if I want to run a system with an exabyte of space.
> Again
> > developer living in their utopia and not reaching down to us system
> admin on
> > what works.
>
> Part of me wants to learn how to program C so I can really get into
> the kernel. The reality part of me looks at where my paycheck comes
> from; keeping servers working.
>
> I do not want to have to tell my boss we accepted the vendor's default
> and lost a few terabytes of business critical data.

More likely to lose that TB on ext4 than XFS. Different beast and rock
solid.
EXT4 promised scalability to the level that XFS has had for a decade. Still
hits limits in EXT4 due to design bugs far below the EB scale level that
XFS can tolerate.

And XFS could care less about whether you are using a few GB or hundreds of
PB, it still does the right thing.  It uses different tools than ext[2,3,4]
and many are similar but some are very different. Man pages are written
very well for them and have examples.

I jumped ship to XFS a few years back when some file servers in the low
tens of TB couldn't be run on ext4 thanks to the (known and un-fixed 4 year
old) bugs. Fixing the bugs will break ext4 badly as it an architecture
issue somewhere. I see that as ext4 is headed for extinction.

> Leam
>
> --
> Mind on a Mission

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*