[ale] xfs vs. ext4

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 10:48:44 EST 2014

Also, I believe `lvextend -r -L +50G /dev/mapper/centos-root` will Do The
Right Thing.

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Chuck Payne <terrorpup at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, I really need to bone-up on XFS, I see that resize2fs is for ext3/ext4
> and for XFS I need use
>

> *xfs_growfs /hom*
>

> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/extendlv.htm
>
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Chuck Payne <terrorpup at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Doesn't look like XFS plays well with LVM,  I had just noticed this
>> morning that CentOS7 is XFS, if I can't do LVM the way I am use too. I am
>> going to have to stick with ext4
>>
>> [root at localhost /]# vim /etc/fstab
>> [root at localhost /]# lvextend -L +50G /dev/mapper/centos-root
>>   Extending logical volume root to 100.00 GiB
>>   Logical volume root successfully resized
>> [root at localhost /]# resize2fs /dev/mapper/centos-root
>> resize2fs 1.42.9 (28-Dec-2013)
>> resize2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open
>> /dev/mapper/centos-root
>> Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Beddingfield, Allen <allen at ua.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> ext4 never gained momentum.  Red Hat made it the default in 6.x, and
>>> then dropped it in favor of XFS in 7.x
>>> As has already been pointed out, XFS can't be shrunk.  However, it is
>>> mature, scalable, and stable.  I've been using it as the default FS on all
>>> of our servers for 7-8 years.  (We are mostly a SLES shop).
>>> I'm just now starting to do some testing with BtrFS, but we don't have
>>> it in production yet.  I was on the SLES 12 beta team, so got plenty of
>>> lead time to experiment with it...
>>> Allen B.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Allen Beddingfield
>>> Systems Engineer
>>> The University of Alabama

James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
condition to which they are quickly addicted."

CH:D 59