[ale] xfs vs. ext4

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 10:37:22 EST 2014

Doesn't look like XFS plays well with LVM,  I had just noticed this morning
that CentOS7 is XFS, if I can't do LVM the way I am use too. I am going to
have to stick with ext4

[root at localhost /]# vim /etc/fstab
[root at localhost /]# lvextend -L +50G /dev/mapper/centos-root
  Extending logical volume root to 100.00 GiB
  Logical volume root successfully resized
[root at localhost /]# resize2fs /dev/mapper/centos-root
resize2fs 1.42.9 (28-Dec-2013)
resize2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open
/dev/mapper/centos-root
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Beddingfield, Allen <allen at ua.edu> wrote:

> ext4 never gained momentum.  Red Hat made it the default in 6.x, and then
> dropped it in favor of XFS in 7.x
> As has already been pointed out, XFS can't be shrunk.  However, it is
> mature, scalable, and stable.  I've been using it as the default FS on all
> of our servers for 7-8 years.  (We are mostly a SLES shop).
> I'm just now starting to do some testing with BtrFS, but we don't have it
> in production yet.  I was on the SLES 12 beta team, so got plenty of lead
> time to experiment with it...
> Allen B.
>

> --
> Allen Beddingfield