[ale] [OT] First Programming Language for Adult??

Stephen Leonard stephen.leonard at gmail.com
Thu May 29 23:19:09 EDT 2014

My suggestion is to use a book like this in conjunction with some other
language resource that assumes no prior programming experience.  I'm not
familiar with Alice, but I agree with your suggestion for Java or Python
since plenty of documentation exists for beginners.

  http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Computing-Algorithms-Russel-Shackelford/dp/0201314517

Unfortunately, the price for this book is steep.  Since my copy is just
collecting dust, I would be willing to lend it.  Please email me offline
if interested.

Here are some additional online resources I have seen suggested by
others.

  http://htdp.org/
  http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 03:17:00PM -0400, Tom Freeman wrote:

> My apologies for using up people's bandwidth for something not
> really linux, but this list is the best resource I know of for
> access to computer people with an insane breadth of backgrounds and
> opinions. And they are willing to share.
>
> A few days ago my daughter asked for an opinion as to a computer
> language for her to learn. No, she doesn't have a project in mind,
> which would have at least focused the discussion a little bit. She
> is a university librarian, however, should that have any bearing on
> the discussion. She has access to a moderate amount of materials for
> "Alice", which apparently her school uses for programming
> introduction.
>
> My advice, which should be considered highly flawed, was to take
> advantage of the "Alice" materials as a first, quick step. Follow
> that with perhaps either some work in Python or Java, with the Java
> due to her constant involvement in tiny web projects.
>
> If the Python or Java settles, and the itch continues, I was
> suggesting a second language, possibly data base oriented for the
> library work, or something derived from either FORTH or LISP for the
> mind expansion properties. As yet another alternative - cshell(?)
> since she prefers the macintoy.
>
> (I had a relative utterly in love with FORTH and very good at it
> also. Unfortunately, he thought _everybody_ should program in it...
> Not a very successful idea unfortunately.)
>
> The multipart question here seems to be:
> 1) Is there a proper solid resource for building some programming
> skill that I should have know about and don't?
> 2) Did I suggest a moderately reasonable approach in the eyes of
> people who _actaully_ program?
> 3) Is there probably a better approach I should have known about?
>
> Thanks to all for the use of their bandwidth.

Stephen Leonard