[ale] [OT] First Programming Language for Adult??

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu May 29 15:17:00 EDT 2014

My apologies for using up people's bandwidth for something not really
linux, but this list is the best resource I know of for access to computer
people with an insane breadth of backgrounds and opinions. And they are
willing to share.

A few days ago my daughter asked for an opinion as to a computer language
for her to learn. No, she doesn't have a project in mind, which would have
at least focused the discussion a little bit. She is a university
librarian, however, should that have any bearing on the discussion. She
has access to a moderate amount of materials for "Alice", which apparently
her school uses for programming introduction.

My advice, which should be considered highly flawed, was to take advantage
of the "Alice" materials as a first, quick step. Follow that with perhaps
either some work in Python or Java, with the Java due to her constant
involvement in tiny web projects.

If the Python or Java settles, and the itch continues, I was suggesting a
second language, possibly data base oriented for the library work, or
something derived from either FORTH or LISP for the mind expansion
properties. As yet another alternative - cshell(?) since she prefers the
macintoy.

(I had a relative utterly in love with FORTH and
very good at it also. Unfortunately, he thought _everybody_ should program
in it... Not a very successful idea unfortunately.)

The multipart question here seems to be:
1) Is there a proper solid resource for building some programming skill
that I should have know about and don't?
2) Did I suggest a moderately reasonable approach in the eyes of people
who _actaully_ program?
3) Is there probably a better approach I should have known about?

Thanks to all for the use of their bandwidth.