[ale] C question

Robert L. Harris robert.l.harris at gmail.com
Thu May 22 19:37:32 EDT 2014

The reason for the "system" is just to see what value I'm getting out.

I have a perl script doing a bunch of processing which will be run by a
couple different users.  One aspect of the perl script is to connect to
another machine and run a command as a specific user.  Instead of having
others know the passwd, etc.  I have a hostkey set up from my server as a
non-privledged user to another system.  I want to have the C program setuid
to the non-privledged user, ssh to the second server and run 1 command with
the only variable being XXXXX.  More convoluted than I want but the safest
method I can come up with to get just the output I need from the second
server.

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 5:31 PM, Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net> wrote:

> In general, with this kind of stuff, you want to avoid using the
> shell, so no use of "system" or other library calls that implicitly
> run a shell.  The reason is that most programmers cannot anticipate
> all the corner cases that allow unexpected things to happen when you
> run a shell from your C program based on user data.
>
> But this extra information is making me less certain that I'm coming
> up with the best feedback.
>
> Does it happen to be the case that you're using C because you want to
> create an executable that you will make setuid root?
>

> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM, Robert L. Harris
> <robert.l.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My main goal is to make sure someone doesn't run this command and pass it
> > somethign like :     "15361; rm -rf ~/*"
> > I will need another version where XXXXX can be any alpha-numeric
> character
> > too but the main concern is the moron doing something stupid.
> >
> > Robert
> >

> > On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm not at a keyboard now, but strtol could do it all if you provide a
> >> non-NULL end pointer. (That will make sense on reading the strtol man
> page.)
> >> Just subtract the end from the start and compare to 5,after specifying
> base
> >> ten.

> not a

> Man

> > --
> > :wq!

> > Robert L. Harris
> >
> > DISCLAIMER:
> >       These are MY OPINIONS             With Dreams To Be A King,
> >        ALONE.  I speak for                      First One Should Be A Man
> >        no-one else.                                     - Manowar

>   Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
>   http://noserose.net/e/
>   http://www.coraid.com/

:wq!