[ale] Chinese government recommendation - Linux

Jones, Donald dgjones37 at gmail.com
Mon May 19 16:55:31 EDT 2014

In discussing how "easy" or "hard" learning a new desk top, OS,
technology, etc. is, one element I think that has been overlooked is
TIME.  Learning takes time and we all live very busy lives.  When we are
busy in my organization, it is not unheard of to have 12 - 16 hours of
work to do in a 8 hour day.  Furthermore, when you get the assignment,
it was actually needed a week earlier.  And if you think that just
because new tools have been introduced into the work atmosphere (ei.
new word processor, etc) means that you will get more time to complete
the task or even training on the new tools - that usually isn't always
the case.  To get caught-up on how to save a file or change the font for
15 minutes is a huge killer.  My point is that many people resist change
because they often do not have the time (real or perceived) to learn new
skills to accomplish a task they could already do with a previously
learned skill set.

For us technical people, learning a new skill/technology is a double
edge sword.  We get the task done while learning new skills that add to
our skill set and marketability while having fun.  For end users, it is
a single edge sword in that only a needed task has been completed.

Donald