[ale] Chinese government recommendation - Linux

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon May 19 15:38:44 EDT 2014

+2 or +3 or possibly more

Sad to say, most human beings of my acquaintance seem to operate on the
level of "I learned how to do <<something>> with this <<application>> why
should I learn how to do more? Or different? Or whatever?

Then when you also suspect that most people seem to have learned
procedures and not underlying patterns of those proceedures - good luck
with any change.

It only took us four siblings two years to convert our mother from
WordStar on a KayPro II to a MacSE because the Mac didn't have the
WordStar diamond. Now this is a woman with degrees in French, Music, and
Education - so I don't quite think a love of ignorance is the basic
problem. With every new word processor forced on her (more by Apple than
her children - we still have scars from the first effort) there are loud
fits and furies, and much complaining about how the technologiests/geeks
of the world have made it harder not easier.

I'd love to be a bug on the wall watching somebody attempt to get her
functional with a music editor for her harpsichord music! Or to get
computer support of the embroidery she does. Although I suspect even that
bug on the wall will deserve combat pay...