[ale] Chinese government recommendation - Linux

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Mon May 19 12:46:22 EDT 2014

The fact that it shouldn’t be hard does not meet the REAL WORLD experience that it IS hard for most people.

It is NOT “the same” application.   It is a “similar” application and therein lie the complications.    Telling someone they have to “click here instead of there” sounds simple in microcosm.   Turns out that a) It is not simple even if you only have one user that doesn’t really understand why they do what they do and b) When you’re doing it across an entire organization it becomes quite a problem.

The main issue with admins like us is that we actually LIKE to learn.  Most people do NOT and will resist.   If you’ve ever taken a management 101 course you find out the FIRST thing they teach you is that people are resistant to change.    Pretending it isn’t so is one of the reasons why IT types often fail.  You have to address what is perceived by the end users rather than what you think they should perceive.