[ale] keeping an antique running for another 3 months

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at gmail.com
Fri May 16 13:23:14 EDT 2014

Running an out-of-date Fedora.

Trying to update Firefox as more and more web sites are whining about it.

Down loaded current firefox and unpacked it into /home.
When I try to run the executable, I get this error:

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /home/kilpatms/Downloads/firefox/libxul.so:
libdbus-glib-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

So, not having any idea what a GlueLoad error might be, I made a link to
/usr/bin/libdbus-glib-1.so.2, which itself is a link to libddbus-
glib-.so.2.1.0, which is an older and smaller file.

I have no idea what XPCOM might be; it resides in
/usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9.2/modules but an <ls> also shows this:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     5 May 16 12:47 XPCOM -> XPCOM

where the two XPCOM are oddly marked: the first is red letters on black
background and the second is blinking white on a red background.  I have
no idea what that is trying to tell me.

In the same directory is the file XPCOMUtils.jsm.  So I tried to make a
link to that file but that didn't work:

[root at Sarge firefox]# ln -s XPCOMUtils.jsm
usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9.2/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm
ln: creating symbolic link
`usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9.2/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm': No such file or
directory

I am somewhat confused.  That file has been sitting in that directory since
the system was first booted.  All 12k of it.

I'd stop now and have a beer, but it is too early in the afternoon.

Sean