[ale] Email system

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu May 15 10:59:53 EDT 2014

> got it.. Mine is registered by network Solutions, but hosted by
> asmallorange..
> like you say, it isn't hard to transfer it to Godaddy:)

So perhaps the question should be do you want to support any company that is
known to hassle customers in any way, consistently, to the point that there are
multiple "I hate X" domains on the internet?
When buying "services" - it is primarily based on the reputation of the company,
at least for me.

I use godaddy as a cheap registrar in 10yr increments. I can deal with their
up-sale for 15 minutes every 10 yrs to save $30.

Previous attempts to use them for hosting failed terribly. I don't know anything
about their email facilities, but running an email system takes about 5 hrs a
year of effort these days - if you forget the end-user questions that always
comes up.

I can't imagine ever trusting a 3rd party to hold my email.  OTOH, I pay to have
my money held in banks/brokerages (instead of DIY), so I definitely understand
why most people choose to let others deal with email.  Perhaps I don't
understand the risks I'm taking by letting the bank hold it? I know they track
all my transactions, just like email providers do.

This morning I saw how creepy Google had become. Discovered a new button inside
Android Play ... I can watch which apps my friends install on their android
devices.  Odd thing is that I've never told google that I have any friends. Most
of the top people in the list are people I know, but I've never emailed and they
are NOT in my google contacts.  Scary AND creepy.  I have a gmail account
because it is mandatory for android, turned up all privacy settings, don't use
G+, avoid using any google-android apps, and block many google domains at the
network layer.  How did they get so creepy?

Creepy.