[ale] Email system

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu May 15 10:59:37 EDT 2014

Chris Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> writes:

> I'm in the need to figure out a new method of email, that does no include
> Exchange.
>
> Currently I use CentOS to fetch all our our mail from our provider and store
> locally.  Users then use IMAPS and SMTP to receive and send.
>
> We get hammered with Spam that has nasty attachments.   One user asked me what
> we could do about this.  My thought is that I'm going to have to install a
> real commercial SPAM firewall.  I also looked at Google business email.  My
> options currently are to look at purchasing a Baracuda appliance to cut down
> on the crap or use Google email services.

I use MAIA Mailguard on my personal server (using Postfix and Cyrus
IMAPD).  MAIA connects to SpamAssassin, ClamAV, Pyzor, etc. and provides
user feedback to do Bayesian matching.  I also have Postfix set up for a
few DNS-BLs and "Sender-Verify".  All this means that of the thousands
of SMTP connections per day I get about 10 false-negatives (Spam
messages that hit my inbox), and I've seen nearly zero false positives
(Ham messages that get held as spam).

Theoretically each user can set up their own Bayesian filtering.

> With the Baracuda I'll stop fetching mail from the provider and smiply chane
> our DNS MX records to send mail directly.  I'm not sure how it will feed email
> to my mail system or if it is the IMAP/SMTP server.  Anyone use one of these
> devices?
>
> Chris

-derek