[ale] Email system

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Wed May 14 21:01:19 EDT 2014

We use Zimbra open source (community edition) at our business. I remember it took some effort to get it set up initially but it's been pretty hassle free since. I don't mess with it much at all. We haven't upgraded to the most recent major revision because they quit supporting RHEL 5 (we're using CentOS) and only support 6, and the upgrade path is not trivial. I believe you have to install your current version on 6, do a restore, then do the upgrade. Not huge, but more than I've had time for so far. Something else always seems to take precedence. Still, we've been pretty happy with Zimbra. The Web UI is pretty nice and the IMAP support is also very good. It bundles Clam and Spam Assassin so you don't have to configure them manually. From the command line, I was able to add anti-spam DNS block lists. It seems to work pretty well, but some spam does get through.

You do need to dedicate a box or VM to it though. It's not a package you want to install on a server you're using for other things.

Scott