[ale] Email system

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Wed May 14 20:06:36 EDT 2014

I run my own server, I see no different from a Godaddy or Goggle
hosting, here a good page to try to set it up.

http://www.howtoforge.com/improve_spam_abuse_protection_in_dovecot_by_restricting_access_to_mail_accounts_by_ip

Anyway my 2 cents.

Oh, you can use AVG with Postfix and Amavis.

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 7:06 PM, Chris Fowler
<cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
> This is what I use with the exception of ClamAV. The system has been up
> since 2008. I could revisit it with a refresh.
>
> We were hammered with fake voicemail emails that had zip attachments. Inside
> those were screen files. I can easily tell proc mail to delete any with zip.
> My idea is to stop making this a side job.
>

> On May 14, 2014 6:51:53 PM EDT, Collin Pruitt <hellow at binenv.com> wrote:
>>
>> I personally use a postfix/dovecot setup, with SpamAssassin and ClamAV
>> filtering of all inbound messages. SpamAssassin takes time to learn but it
>> works like a charm once it's fully set up.
>>
>> If you're looking for a simple drop-in solution, Google Apps is a nice
>> platform.
>>
>> On 5/14/2014 4:52 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
>>
>> I'm in the need to figure out a new method of email, that does no include
>> Exchange.
>>
>> Currently I use CentOS to fetch all our our mail from our provider and
>> store locally.  Users then use IMAPS and SMTP to receive and send.
>>
>> We get hammered with Spam that has nasty attachments.   One user asked me
>> what we could do about this.  My thought is that I'm going to have to
>> install a real commercial SPAM firewall.  I also looked at Google business
>> email.  My options currently are to look at purchasing a Baracuda appliance
>> to cut down on the crap or use Google email services.
>>
>> With the Baracuda I'll stop fetching mail from the provider and smiply
>> chane our DNS MX records to send mail directly.  I'm not sure how it will
>> feed email to my mail system or if it is the IMAP/SMTP server.  Anyone use
>> one of these devices?
>>
>> Chris

>> --
>> Collin Pruitt
>> "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the
>> first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all
>> irrevocably." - Jean-Luc Picard, TNG "The Drumhead"

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 7-9, 2013 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org