[ale] Anyone have a source for a dumb terminal?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Mon May 12 15:40:43 EDT 2014

On 2014-05-12 12:31, Chris Fowler wrote:
> On 05/12/2014 03:18 PM, Chuck Payne wrote:
>> https://code.google.com/p/picocom/
>>
>> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Text-Terminal-HOWTO-10.html
>>
>> http://www.tecmint.com/linux-terminal-emulators/
>
> I'm not really looking to grab an xterm for a terminal into the current
> system.  I'm looking at
> attaching to a serial port and running emulation of an IBM3151 terminal.

Does the terminal need to be physically present near the system or can
the system be operated remotely?  I was thinking of something like a
serial-ethernet bridge and then your operators would use their existing
computers (either bring a laptop with them and take it away when they're
done or sit at their desk).

Otherwise you're back to buying them used.  I found a 3152 at
Performance Data Resources for $325 but didn't really find anything else.