[ale] Debian serial ports

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue May 6 12:48:49 EDT 2014

Yeah, I didn't have setserial installed.  The ports weren't visible
until I got the right combination of modules to finally load
(parport_serial, serial_core, 8250, and 8250_pci).  I tested the two
serial ports last night and they're both working.  I haven't had a
chance to test the two parallel ports (have to dig out the parallel
printer) but they did show up in dmesg, too, so they likely are working.

Seems that the isapnp code is already baked into the kernel instead of a
loadable module, it doesn't exist on my system as an independent .ko
file.  I was headed down that path first because this particular
motherboard has all the serial and parallel I/O ports on the ISA bus
(the second printer port card is ISA, too).