[ale] PostgreSQL question

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 17:03:06 EDT 2014

The most I've ever had to do was replication. I used the set up from the
postgres docs here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/warm-standby.html#STREAMING-REPLICATION

Load balancing a write service is far more challenging. If it's read-only,
then do it at the upstream application layer.

I never had the opportunity to try it but a cascading replication with the
top as ONLY the write server and all the rest as read-only servers. This
requires logic at the application level and some network load balancing but
not much.

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Preston <preston.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hey folks, what are you doing for some kind of load balancing with
> PostgreSQL?  How do you handle live migration with PostgreSQL?
>
> thoughts?  pointers?
>
> Preston
>
> --
> Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.
> -Dr. Seuss

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*